This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Monday, May 28, 2012

Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

"I don't do dangerous.  Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.... NIGHTWATCHERS When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising..."
Oh, hello there hot cover model! How do you do? You want me to read you? Well okay, if I must stare at you longer, I will somehow find a way to get through this. Yes, the cover is what initially caught my attention. It's not even the pretty guy though. It was actually the wings that caught my attention because they're kind of frayed. Plus the whole cover is kind of mysterious.

I'm not the biggest fan of angel books because I haven't had great experiences with the few that I've read thus far. However, this book definitely changed my opinion on them. I was pulled into the story immediately and loved the world Michelle Rowen created. I enjoyed how the realm of angels and demons was given a twist. Though angels are said to be good and demons bad, I found the characters in this book to be kind of questionable on where they stood. I felt like they could have a mix of both characteristics, and luck is what really came down to what hand they were dealt.

Samantha is a likable enough character, but I felt her inner angst took up a bit too much of the book. The things she said would feel a bit repetitive at times. However, I did like that she was more of a take charge character even if it wasn't the best idea sometimes.

The demons and angels in the book were all enjoyable because they all had their own personalities. Bishop and Kraven had a great introducing storyline that I really want to read more about.  My only wish was to find out a bit more about the side characters. I'm hoping they'll have more of a role in later books because there wasn't enough said about them. However, Rowen's writing makes for a very easy read even if I would've liked more information at times.

The one thing I continuously thought with this book was that I could totally see this book as a television show. There's something about it that reads very much like a show. There are plenty of side stories and characters I'd love to watch as the story unfolds. Dark Kiss is a great start for a new take on an angels and demons story. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the following books in this series. Thanks to Harlequin Teen and NetGalley for providing me a copy.

Book Soundtrack: 

Labels:

7 Comments:

At May 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

a lot of people have had problems with Samantha, but I'm glad you did like this one! I love the cover, too, which is why I requested it on NetGalley.

great review, lovely!

Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

 
At May 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Preet said...

Yeah, it's really hard to explain why I didn't love Samantha. I try to not be all judgmental on covers, but how can you not want to read it when it's so pretty?!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM , Blogger TheReadingPenguin said...

This looks so good! I actually am a big fan of angel stories--I guess I've gotten lucky in reading more good ones than bad.

 
At May 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Preet. Thanks for the lovely comment on The Readers Den. I too fell in love with the cover! What's not to like with that smoking hot angel?! Seems like we echo each other in opinion on this one. I had some irritations but it ended on a high note. I'm anxious to see what happens next. Great review. :)

 
At May 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Alison Can Read said...

Sounds good! I'm not the biggest fan of angel books either, but I enjoy them when they're done well. It's best when an author does a different take on an oft told theme.

 
At May 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

The cover also caught my attention. I am hesitant with angel books also, but I have seen a few that look pretty good, including this one. I will definitely check it out since you enjoy this one. Great review :)

 
At June 7, 2012 at 4:15 AM , Blogger Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

I fell in love with the cover and since I'm that superficial, I want to read this one! I have read a couple of books about angels now and I had some great experience, so this is definitely a book I'll read :D Thanks for the great review, I'm glad that you liked it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home