This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Colors Like Memories by Meradeth Houston

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: Review: Colors Like Memories by Meradeth Houston

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Colors Like Memories by Meradeth Houston

"Julia has a secret: she killed the guy she loved. It was an accident—sort of.
Julia is a Sary, the soul of a child who died before taking her first breath. Without this 'breath of life' she and others like her must help those on the verge of suicide. It's a job Julia used to enjoy, until the accident that claimed her boyfriend’s life—an accident she knows was her fault. If living with the guilt weren't enough, she's now assigned to help a girl dealing with the loss of her mother, something Julia's not exactly the best role model for. If she can't figure out a way to help her, Julia's going to lose her position in the Sary, something she swore to her boyfriend would never happen."
This is one of those books that's sort of hard to review without giving things away. The story bounces between present life and the past as we learn more and more about the characters. While I enjoyed Julia's present life, it was her past that had me the most engaged in the book. By no means was her present life not interesting, but the relationship between Derek, Julia's first life companion, was so flawlessly written that any other relationships with Julia just didn't compete with it. What's interesting about this is that Derek's part of the story wasn't even a big chunk of the book, but it's truly what made the most impact. His relationship with Julia is what carries the book without him really being present. 

I appreciated that all the characters were working towards a common goal without the other truly knowing what they were going through. I really felt for Marcy and her struggle. Meradeth Houston wrote her character in a way that made me want her to get through her issues because she deserved better. My only true qualm about the story was her connection to Edison. Though they were sweet together and understood one another on a different level, I just didn't really care for them together. I'm not saying their relationship was bad by any means, but being introduced to Derek first kind of made me want his love more. It's as if Houston gave me this huge delicious piece of cake(Derek), took it away and then gave me a piece of chocolate(Edison). The chocolate is satisfying, but it just isn't as amazing as cake. 

Julia's story through all of her struggle was really sweet and hopeful. My only wish was that I could've had a bit more information on the Sary. The world Houston created for them was really interesting and I kept wanting to know more about them. If more stories do release with the Sary, I'd definitely be interested in seeing where this story goes. 


Soundtrack:

Labels:

5 Comments:

At May 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Meradeth Houston said...

Love the songs!! Awesome pairings :) Thanks so much for the review!

 
At May 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Bianca said...

The cover is pretty and it sounds really interesting. Thanks for the review. Going to go add it to my tbr list now :)

 
At May 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM , Anonymous Amanda @ Letters Inside Out said...

Ummm, I want to read it! I'm curious.

We must discuss it later.

Amanda

 
At May 31, 2012 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

This definitely sounds interesting. I'd never heard of it before, but I want to check it out. Glad you enjoyed it, great review :)

 
At June 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Preet said...

Thanks so much! Glad ya liked.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home