This Page

has been moved to new address

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

"It starts with an itch you just can't shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you'll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in. 
And then you're dead. 
When a deadly virus begins to sweep through sixteen-year-old Kaelyn’s community, the government quarantines her island—no one can leave, and no one can come back. Those still healthy must fight for dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. 
As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest. Because how will she go on if there isn't? "

I think the idea of a virus suddenly attacking people may be one of the creepiest ideas ever. I know movies and some books have covered something similar before, but that's initially what attracted me to requesting this book. The setting of a small Canadian island was such an amazing setting to add to the creep factor of this story because of the seclusion it brings on. Though the book had a really slow almost painful start, I enjoyed how realistic the plot felt.

Kaelyn, our main girl, is written to be somewhat of a loner. I don't know if I'd say that I found her character to be all that believable, but I wished I had felt more of a connection to her. That was a main issue with the book for me; I never felt a great connection to any of the characters. I wanted to know more about the secondary characters and never got the chance. I know it'd be hard to do in the way the book was written, but I feel like it could've helped a bit. 

As I mentioned, the letter format this book has only a main character perspective so there's a lot left to understand throughout the book. I really hated that the relationship to Leo was never really explained. I also couldn't tell at points if she was writing a letter or diary, so that inconsistency somewhat distracted me at times. Though the way the story is written from the very beginning of the infections, is really amazing. It sort of reads like a horror movie. We're able to see how the virus begins to affect people and how the desperation in town sets in. 

Overall the idea was pretty good for a new type of story, but the beginning being so slow really put a damper on the rest of the book for me. I don't know if this book will have others to follow, but with the number of points yet to be resolved and sudden ending, the book wasn't anything I can get excited about to recommend you to read it. 

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At February 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM , Anonymous Amanda @ Letters Inside Out said...

I enjoyed it! I also enjoyed the way it was written in a letter-style...but I do wish there had been more explanation about Leo!

 
At February 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM , Anonymous Kandee said...

I want to read this soo sooo bad. It looks a little like the movie that came out not a while ago called Contagion. I want to read this.:D

Hey, I was also wondering if you could do this book tag. It really looks like fun. Check on my page for info to do it:D

Pleasee.

 
At February 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM , Anonymous Larissa said...

Hi Preet!
I have tagged you! Hop on over to check it out!

http://howlingturtle-pdx.blogspot.com/2012/02/tag.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home