This Page

has been moved to new address

Book Notes: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: Book Notes: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Book Notes: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall"What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?


Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing."

After a number of great reviews on this book, I ordered this book right away when I saw it as an e-book at my library. Did it disappoint? No. Samantha was a really annoying character who did a lot to dislike her. Oliver did well to make me hate her. The only aspects that made me like her was her relationship with her baby sister. I felt that was the only time she was truly herself.  

Though I know she was supposed to redeem herself by the end, it was too late for me. Maybe I'm mean, but years of being annoying doesn't get erased by a few days of good deeds. I don't really feel like her actions were selfless. Sure, it's pretty impossible to do a completely selfless deed, but in the end I don't think she ended up helping the other characters. 

Without being spoilerific, I don't think her friends would change their ways and in a way, it makes me dislike Samantha a bit more. 

By no means am I saying this is a bad book. It was a great read and Oliver's writing is so beautiful, I found myself stopping during passages to reread such thought provoking words. However, if you're looking for a happy read with likable characters, go another way. 




Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At August 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya! Great review. I really like Lauren Oliver's books. Hmmmmm, I might just have to read this book next to see about Samantha.The concept of the book seems cool. A second chance. Well I wanted to tell you that you've won an award!An award for being a great blogger and having an awesome blog.Check out my blog to see it.


Kandee @ Pretty Little Book-Head
Blog: http://prettylittlebookhead.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home